Burst pipes are undoubtedly the biggest cause of Escape of Water, particularly in the winter months. Knowing how to protect against this is crucial, as well as straight forward.
Here are our top tips on how to prevent Escape of Water:
- The main cause of pipes bursting is water freezing and expanding inside of them - therefore, making sure that all of your pipework is protected from the cold is vital. If your pipes aren't insulated, you can purchase pipe insulation from DIY shops or speak to your plumber about fitting this.
- Acquaint yourself with your stopcock. It looks like a tap underneath your sink and it's really important that this can be easily switched off and on. Test it out by running a tap and making sure it stops when you switch the water off using your stopcock.
- Going on holiday this winter, or even leaving your property empty over a weekend? Keep your heating on for an hour a day. Not only will this help to prevent your pipes from freezing, but some home insurance policies require you to maintain a certain temperature in your home.
- Check your seals and reseal them if necessary. Things like shower trays can often cause small escapes of water. This can be easily fixed by replacing the caulk.
- If in doubt, call a plumber! As with finding Home Insurance, the best thing to do is leave it to the experts. A plumber will be able to offer expertise and advice on all of the above, as well as fix new water pipes and install leak detection equipment if required.
If you would like a FREE review of your home insurance, we would be happy to help. Please call PKS on 01256 701205.